Sunday 7 January 2007

Ah Beng Musician

This will be my 1st post whereby i reveal a little of the lame side of me. Lame as in interesting and funny, not acting humorous. Because in the Singapore, people coin almost anything funny as lame. Anyway, like the title of my post, it'll be about "ah bengs". A friendly one though, i won't condemn ah bengs because i would be condemned myself physically(my looks). Anyway, here goes...


Usually, I would help out in children's church busing.
Which means I get on to a bus that the church hired, direct the bus driver to the children's house, pick them up and drop them off in church. But today, it was more interesting.

My bus driver is a "half-ah beng". He speaks & behaves like one to a certain extent, minus away the harsh common vocabulary commonly used by "ah bengs" because of their limited vocabulary (a.k.a vulgarities). Anyway, i managed to talk to him a little, and he dropped me off near my house after the busing because he lives near me. I found out more of his job because he complained and complained about this girl who yada yada yada yoda soda cola mola(etc, etc, etc...). Anyway, the thing that was worth blogging about is about our conversation on one topic.

It started with him asking "Ni3 shi4 christian ah3 ?" (in english: are you a christian)

It was strange that he asked that, because he was driving a bus full of children who are going to church, and I am the Teacher (yes, the children call me Teacher Rickson in church, how cool, haha) on the bus, so usually the bus drivers will assume that the teacher is a Christian from that church. Anyway, i said yes, and asked him why. He chuckled a little and told me he thought that i was not a christian.

So i asked him bluntly, "because i look like an ah beng?" (in chinese, with my fluent ang-moh accent. I dunno why i have this ang moh accent when i speak chinese, but i have a perfect Singaporean accent when it comes to English or Singlish.) He chuckled again & told me that before i board the bus, when he saw me walking towards the bus, he was thinking "Wah seh, don't tell me its this guy leading the bus today".

He told me he thought i was an ah beng who was trying to act classy, because i was carrying a guitar for i had to play for children church later. So judging by my outward appearance, i was a classy ah beng; an Ah Beng Musician. You know, like those Hong Kong classy gangsters.

To the readers out there, if there really is any, you may wonder why do i blog about this. Especially those who have seen me before. Why, because the majority of people who've seen me before thinks that i look like an ah beng. too!!!

Thats so sad lar, because i'm such a good boy(in Singapore standard). i don't smoke, don't take drugs, don't use vulgarities, don't run around naked, don't commit suicide(its a crime to commit suicide in Singapore, and the fact that i didn't commit a crime like that contributes to me not being an ah beng, haha) nor kick my dog. (i only kick my brother's dog, haha.. i mean very softly, think massage, thats the strength that i use.)

Nor do i torture animals. Other than sleeping on my hamster in the past. It escaped from its cage and could not be found. A week after, we found a roti prata version with dried strawberry sauce of my hamster. It was not my fault, really. Anyway, this shows how lazy my maid was, took one week to find the missing roti prata (i doubt she'll get a chance to read this, haha..). Oh btw, i've tried strawberry prata (strawberry sauce on roti prata), its a little too sweet, but its tasty.

The only thing that i did was to dye my hair purple. And after using sunsilk colour lock shampoo, the hues and saturation of my hair was adjusted(photoshop language). Apparently, the shampoo lived up to its name; colour lock shampoo. When i first washed my hair after i highlited it purple, my hair colour locked on to the foam of the shampoo. PURPLE FOAM!!! It was cool... until i went to visit the guy stalks me everywhere, the guy who i see everytime hiding in a reflective surface (my reflection).

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is judging a book by its cover its not a very smart move. You see, i have friends who are quite handsome but are idiots on the inside. On the other hand, i have a few friends who look like idiots BUT are BIGGER IDIOTS inside!! haha.. Sorrie, that was just a joke, i don't judge people as idiots. Back to the book by its cover thingy, because when you judge someone by its cover, you will behave as if the person is who you think he is. You will avoid people who look like Ah Bengs (i've experienced that before), or mayBe look down on people.

So i shall summarize this post. Next time if you see someone who look like an Ah Beng (whether he is carrying a guitar or not, or whether he has faded coloured hair), they might not be Ah Bengs. So stop judging Ah Bengs today! and stop judging people who look like Ah Bengs too, haha..

This blog does not have any worth in view of eternity. In view of time, mayBe a little. But it fulfills the 2nd agenda of my blog, enjoying life on earth =D.

2 comments:

XsimplifiedX said...

hi...

Anonymous said...

hi rickson is very sexy. every sat i get to see his chest because he left his shirt unbuttoned.